News Flash


Posted on: April 9, 2020

FAQ SUMMARY - A Helpful Town Guide During the COVID-19 Pandemic



(Helpful Information During the COVID-19 Pandemic)



Q: Can I get an inspection for existing permitted work (electrical, plumbing/gas, mechanical or building?

A: Yes please send an email to or or leave a message at 508-261-7360. And we will get it to the inspector, this is not our normal process but will work for now.

Q: Can I apply for a building permit?

A: Yes you can apply for a (electrical, plumbing/gas, mechanical or building permit) by dropping in drop box outside Town Hall or by mail.

Q: How can I contact the Building Department?

A: By email to or Phone 508-261-7360

COA/SOCIAL SERVICES: (508) 261-7368

Q. What is the tax filing deadline? 

A. The State and Federal Tax deadlines have been extended to July 15, 2020. Currently, it is unknown if AARP will still be offering tax prep for seniors when the COA reopens, but the COA staff will contact everyone who had scheduled appointments once more is known.

Q. How can I get on the home-delivered meals list?

A. Contact Bristol Elder Services at 774-627-1390 or

Or email me at and I can submit a request for them.

Q. Can I use the Food Pantry?

A. The Mansfield Food Pantry will be open for the distribution of free food each Saturday. To maintain safe distances because of COVID 19, they will be offering drive through pick up of food only. 

You may come to the food pantry one time this week. You may choose to preorder food and pick up by appointment on Friday afternoon, OR receive pre-packed bags of food based on the size of your family (no choices) on Saturday, from 9-11 am. If you would like to preorder food, please use this link to the online preorder form. Mansfield Food Pantry Preorder Form Link

Orders will be taken on a first-come basis until all pickup spots have been filled. Please complete your form and submit it as soon as possible.

Q. Is there assistance available for my utility bills?

A. Contact Sharita Gregory, Town Social Worker at Social Services can assist with helping residents navigate any social service requests/questions.

DPW (Office): (508) 261-7335

Q. Is the Mansfield Green Recycle Park open or compost area open? 

A. The recycle area of Mansfield Green is open. The Mansfield Green will reopen to Mansfield residents on Tuesday May 26th and will be open all week to give residents an opportunity to bring in their recyclables. The schedule is Tuesday, May 26th through Friday, May 29th Open 9AM -3PM. Then on Saturday May 30th the Green will return to regular hours: Saturday 8:00AM-3:45PM, Mondays 8:00AM-3:45PM, and Tuesdays 8:00AM-12:00PM

Q. Are there any changes in trash collection? 

A. No

Q. Do I still have to pay to park at the train station parking lots? 

A. Yes

Q. How can I dispose of bulky items?

A. During the declaration of emergency, the procedure to arrange for a pickup of bulky items and white goods is as follows:

• Contact the DPW Office via telephone at 508-851-6415 or email Make sure to include a good description of the items that you have, your address and a contact telephone number.

• DPW will contact the resident and inform them of the number of tickets required and dollar amount.

• Residents will then drop off a check made payable to the Town of Mansfield in the white drop box in front of Town Hall or mail to 6 Park Row . Please note that the fastest way is to drop it off in the white box. Please clearly state on the envelope “Attention DPW Office Curbside Pick Up”.

• Upon receiving payment, DPW staff will contact the resident and provide them with a sticker number(s).

• The resident will call Waste Management at 1-800-972-4545 and provide them with the sticker number(s) and they will schedule the pickup.

ELECTRIC: (508) 261-7361

Q. How do I make my electric bill payment?

A. Payments can be left in the drop box at Town Hall or at the Electric Department Office at 125 High Street, Mansfield.

Q. Can I make my electric bill payment online?

A. Yes. Go to

  1. Click the tab: “Pay my bill”
  2. Put in your account number
  3. Put in your location, street number and street name only (DO NOT PUT ST, STREET, RD ROAD, AVE AVENUE ETC)
  4. Payments can be made using a debit or credit card or a checking or savings account.
  5. There is no fee to pay on our web site.

LIBRARY: (508) 261-7380

Q. What do I do about my overdue library books?

A. All due dates for materials currently checked out have been extended until June 18.

Q. Will my “on hold” items be held?

A. All items on hold will be held until May 28.

Q. Should I leave my house to return library books?

A. Please do not return any items in the book drop or leave outside the building. All due dates have been extended until June 18.

  • Our virtual branch is open 24/7 at
  • Staff will be responding to questions through the Chat Box on our website Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

PARK & RECREATION: (508) 261-7384

Q. Can I sign up for summer program registrations?

A. We are currently accepting registrations through the Town Payment Drop Box outside of Town Hall. Checks will not be deposited until confirmation of programs being run.

PUBLIC HEALTH: (508) 261-7366

Q. Can I use the town-owned playground and fields?

A. The town-owned playgrounds are closed and the fields are closed to any group or team activity or sport. Town fields can be used for walking, running or biking so long as there are no more than 10 people per group and social distancing leaving at least 6 feet between people is practiced at all times. PLEASE we cannot emphasize enough how important it is to follow these social distancing recommendations. Even people who don’t feel sick and have no symptoms can be infected and spread the virus.

Q. Who determines what constitutes an essential service?

A. list of essential services as defined by the Governor can be found here List of Essential Services Link. Additionally, a page of FAQs with further guidance can be found here COVID-19 FAQ Link.

Q. Can a non-essential business offer curbside pick-up of products they usually sell within their store?

A. Non-essential businesses cannot stay open if they shift to exclusively curbside pick-up. If you are the owner of a non-essential business, you may go to your business facility as needed to take care of crucial tasks that cannot be done remotely or to retrieve necessary materials or documents. Your employees may not go to your bricks-and-mortar place. Additionally, employees of non-essential businesses cannot come in to do non-essential work.

Q. Is pet grooming considered essential?

A. Pet grooming is not considered essential but kennels and day pet care facilities are because they are responsible for the care and custody of animals, pets, and livestock.

Q. Do food establishments have to offer curbside pickup?

A. No, food establishments can offer food for delivery or takeout but it doesn’t have to be curbside. Any patrons picking up food within an establishment should practice social distancing and good hygiene including washing or sanitizing your hands.

SCHOOL DEPARTMENT: (508) 261-7500

The School Department’s COVID-19 resource pages can be found at: Mansfield School’s COVID-19 Resource Page

TOWN CLERK: (508) 261-7345

Q. Where can I obtain an absentee ballot application online?

A. Go to Absentee Ballot Online Application

TOWN HALL: (508) 261-7370

Q. Is Town Hall open? 

A. Town Hall, and all other municipal buildings, are closed. However, our employees are working remotely and many transactions can be conducted via our website. All departments are checking voice messages and email throughout the day. Please allow extra time for a response. Your patience is appreciated.

WATER DEPARTMENT: (508) 261-7330

Q. How do I request a final meter reading?

A. Please call the Dept. of Public Works office to schedule a work order appointment. The phone number is 508-261-7330. To maintain the appropriate social distancing guidelines a water meter technician will collect a final outside reading by our mobile collector.

Q. Can I pay my water bill by phone?

Yes. Contact the Dept. of Public Works Water Billing Supervisor at Tel. 508-261-7330.

On-line pay options are available via the Town website at

Q. What do I do if I need the water serviced to a property marked out?

A. Please call the Dept. of Public Works office to schedule a work order appointment Tel. 508-261-7330.

Q. How can I set up or change information on an existing water billing account?

A. Please call the Dept. of Public Works. Billing Supervisor for assistance Tel. 508-261-7330 or email

Q. I am a contractor looking for approval to install or repair a water service.

A. At the present time, water utility construction is restricted to emergency repairs only. For questions or concerns call Water Operations Manager Kurt Gaffney at 508-922-7073.

Q. I am a plumber with questions about meter size and specifications, what should I do?

A. We’ll need information to respond to this type of request. Please contact the Mansfield Water Division Tel. 508-261-7376.

Q. Can the coronavirus be contracted through the public drinking water?

A. No, coronavirus is not in the public water system.

Facebook Twitter Email