Birth, Marriage & Death Information

Birth Certificate:  For people born in Massachusetts, the Birth Certificate is on file in the town or city in which you were born; the town or city in which your parents lived at the time of your birth and the Department of Public Health Office of Vital Records.

Death Certificate:  Death Certificates are on file with our office for people who died in Mansfield and for those with Mansfield listed as the place of residence at the time of death.

Marriage Certificate: Marriage Certificates are on file with our office for only those couples who applied for the license in Mansfield.

Certified copies of Vital Records (birth, death, marriage) are $10.00 each and can be payable by cash, check or credit card (there is an additional fee for credit cards).

If you call ahead to the Town Clerk's Office (508-261-7345), your records will be waiting for you when you arrive.

Getting Married in Massachusetts

Marriage License:  If you are getting married in Massachusetts, you may apply for a marriage license at any Town or City Clerk's Office in the state within 60 days of the ceremony.  The rules and procedures for getting married are defined by Chapter 207 of the Massachusetts General laws (MGL).  Specific questions should be directed to the town or city Clerk where you plan to file your marriage intentions.

Both partners in a marriage must go together, in person to any Town or city Clerk's office to fill out a marriage license application (Marriage Intention) no more than 60 days before the wedding ceremony. The cost in Mansfield is $25.00 payable at the time you apply.

Once the application is applied for, there is a three-day waiting period before you can pick up your marriage license.  In certain circumstances, the couple can have the three-day waiting period waived by filing a request for a "Marriage Without Delay" with the probate or district court. See the form below.

If you are not married within the 60 days after your license was applied for, the license is null and void and you must apply for a new license.

You can be married by one of three primary groups of people that can legally solemnize a marriage in Massachusetts:

1.) A resident clergy member as defined in MGL Ch 207,  §.38 provided they are registered with the Secretary of State.

2.) A Justice of the Peace, by appointment of the Governor of Massachusetts. A list of local JP's are on file at the Town Clerk's Office.

3.) A friend, family member or out of state member of clergy may apply to the State of Massachusetts for a One-Day Designation. 

You do not have to be a state resident to get married in Massachusetts, but you must obtain a valid marriage license by a Massachusetts to Town or City Clerk.  An out of state marriage license cannot be used.

After the marriage ceremony is complete, whomever you chose to perform the ceremony must sign and return you marriage license to the Town or City Clerk where the license was applied for within 10 days for recording.  Once the marriage is recorded, you may request certified copies.  Fee for certified copies is $10.00 each.

Mansfield Town Clerk, Six Park Row, Mansfield, MA 02048


Email Town Clerk's Office

Hours: M-T-TH 8-4  W 8-8  F 8-12