How to Apply for a Board/Commission
Defining an Appointed Official
An appointed official is hereby defined as any person appointed to any board, commission, committee, or authority.
The town clerk maintains a list of all interested voters from which appointments of town officials are made. Interested voters should contact the town clerk in person or in writing, indicating areas of interest, and a brief background description. Fill in the electronic Application Form for a Board or Committee Member Candidate (posted on the right-hand side column), or obtain a form from the Town Clerk’s office.
Fill out the Board or Committee Member Candidate Application Form (PDF) and return to the Town Clerk’s office. Be sure to read the Conflict of Interest Law.
At least three weeks prior to appointments, excepting vacancies, appointing authority shall advertise in the newspaper any openings to be filled and shall advertise a closing date for the list of applicants. No less than 5 days prior to any appointment, excepting vacancies, the list of candidates shall be closed and publicly posted by the town clerk. You can sign up for notifications for the latest updates.
Any vacancy occurring in a board, commission or committee shall be filled by the appointing authority in accordance with the General Laws. Any vacancy occurring in a commission, or committee appointed by the Town Manager or Moderator shall be filled for the unexpired term by the appointing authority.
- Audit Committee - 1 vacancy
- Conservation Commission - 2 vacancies
- Keep Mansfield Beautiful - 2 vacancies
- Mansfield Housing Corporation - 4 vacancies
- MBTA Advisory Committee - 1 vacancy
- Cultural Council - 14 vacancies
- Historical Commission - 1 vacancy
- Industrial Development Commission - 2 vacancies
- Open Space and Recreation Committee - 2 vacancies
- 250th Celebration Committee - 7 vacancies
- Waste Reduction and Recycling Committee - 1 vacancy
- Southeastern Regional Planning and Economic Development - 1 vacancy
- Cable Access Board of Directors - 1 vacancy
- Planning Board - 1 vacancy (Applications due May 25, 2022)
Appointed town officials shall receive for their services such compensation as may annually be provided for that purpose by appropriation of the town meeting.