How to Apply for a Board/Commission

Defining an Appointed Official

An appointed official is hereby defined as any person appointed to any board, commission, committee, or authority.

Application Process

The town clerk maintains a list of all interested voters from which appointments of town officials are made. Interested voters should contact the town clerk in person or in writing, indicating areas of interest, and a brief background description. Fill in the electronic Application Form for a Board or Committee Member Candidate (posted on the right-hand side column), or obtain a form from the Town Clerk’s office

Fill out the Board or Committee Member Candidate Application Form (PDF) and return to the Town Clerk’s office. Be sure to read the Conflict of Interest Law.

Annual Invitation to all Residents To Apply for Appointment to Town Boards and Committees

             All registered voters are invited by the Select Board to apply for appointment to the following boards, committees, and/or commissions for terms beginning January 1, 2024.  Vacancies and/or reappointments are available on the following:

250th Celebration Committee, Airport Commission, Animal Welfare Committee, Audit Committee, Board of Assessors, Board of Health, Board of Library Trustees, Board of Registrars of Voters, Conservation Commission, Constable, Council of Aging, Cultural Council, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee, Finance Committee, Historical Commission, Housing Authority, Industrial Development Commission, Keep Mansfield Beautiful Committee, MFN Wastewater District, Mansfield Housing Corp Board of Directors, Municipal Building Committee, Non-Profit Gift Fund, Open Space and Recreation Committee, Planning Board, Recreation Committee, Southeastern Regional Planning and Economic Development, World War II Scholarship Fund and Zoning Board of Appeals.

Applications will be accepted at the Town Clerk’s office, Six Park Row, Mansfield, MA 02048, until November 3, 2023.


At least three weeks prior to appointments, excepting vacancies, appointing authority shall advertise in the newspaper any openings to be filled and shall advertise a closing date for the list of applicants. No less than 5 days prior to any appointment, excepting vacancies, the list of candidates shall be closed and publicly posted by the town clerk. You can sign up for notifications for the latest updates.

Any vacancy occurring in a board, commission or committee shall be filled by the appointing authority in accordance with the General Laws. Any vacancy occurring in a commission, or committee appointed by the Town Manager or Moderator shall be filled for the unexpired term by the appointing authority.

Current Vacancies

  • 250th Celebration Committee
  • Cultural Council - 13 vacancies
  • Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee - 2 vacancies (1 Resident at large and 1 for High School student)
  • Historical Commission - 2 vacancies
  • Industrial Development Commission - 2 vacancies
  • Mansfield Housing Corporation - 5 vacancies
  • MBTA Advisory Committee - 1 vacancy
  • Non-Profit Gift Fund Committee - 1 vacancy
  • Planning Board - 1 vacancy 
  • WWII Scholarship Committee - 1 vacancy


Appointed town officials shall receive for their services such compensation as may annually be provided for that purpose by appropriation of the town meeting.