Mansfield provides each single family home with a 64-gallon single-stream recycling bin. The system is called “single-stream” because you do not need to sort your recyclables, you can place them all in a single bin. 96-gallon recycling bins are also available. Contact the Department of Public Works (DPW) at 508-261-7335. Visit Recycle Smart MA to explore what can and cannot be recycled.
Recycle Often, Recycle Right
Mansfield encourages residents to recycle as much as possible. Recycling benefits the environment and preserves natural resources. Plus, every ton of trash we divert from the waste stream saves Mansfield taxpayers money.
It’s also important to recycle correctly. If you put non-recyclables in your single-stream recycling bin, the load becomes contaminated. If the contamination rate is too high, the Material Recovery Facility (MRF) in Avon, MA may reject Mansfield’s recyclables. View the Waste Management website and learn about what can be recycled (PDF).
Remember the following single-stream recycling basics:
- Always include:
- Aluminum Cans
- Glass Bottles
- Metal Cans
- Plastic Bottles
- Never place clothing or textiles in your recycling bin. Deposit these items in donation bins or schedule a home pickup from a local charity
- Never place plastic bags or stretchable plastic film in your single stream bin (you can return these items to the supermarket or other stores)
- Never place waxed cardboard, including milk cartons, juice cartons, etc. in your recycling bin
- Never put food or hazardous waste in your recycling bin
- Plastic bags and single-stream recycling do not mix
- Use this Searchable Recycling Guide to easily find out which item is recyclable
Recycling Collection Information
- Any materials placed outside of the cart will not be collected. Learn how to handle bulky items and white goods.
- Place your recycling bin curbside by 7 a.m., at least three feet apart from your trash cart or any other obstacle, such as mailboxes, light poles, etc.
- Recycling is mandatory in Mansfield.
- Waste Management empties your recycling cart (with yellow lid) every week on your regular trash collection day.
Other Recycling Tips
- Each cart is assigned to a single residence but remains the property of Waste Management. Do not remove the cart if you move, as you will responsible for the cost of replacing it.
- If your cart is damaged, call Waste Management at 800-972-4545 for a replacement.
- Use your recycling bin (with yellow lid) for recycling only. Do not place trash or household hazardous waste in your bin.
Recycling for Residents Who Live in Apartments or Condominiums
Currently, some apartments and condominiums in Mansfield offer residents the ability to recycle and some do not. If your building manager does not offer recycling, you can still bring your recyclables to the Mansfield Green Recycling Park.