Town of Mansfield, MA

6 Park Row, Mansfield, MA 02048 | (508) 261-7348
Select Page

Public Health FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

I am selling my house. Do I need to have the septic system inspected?

Yes. Title 5 requires the inspection of the septic system or cesspool when a property changes hands. The Health Department has a list of private sector state certified inspectors. If you do have a problem with your system, the inspector is compelled by law to provide you with a list of local septic system installers (prepared by the Board of Health) who can assist you in fixing the problem. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to call the Health Department.

How do I locate my septic system?

The Health Department files hold plans called “as-built plan”. This plan shows the location of your septic system. As-built plans became mandatory in May 1990, but were still commonly done prior to that. If your home was built prior to 1972, it is unlikely that a plan exists due to a fire that destroyed the town hall.

My apartment has a number of problems. Can you help me?

If you are having problems with the living conditions in your apartment, a housing inspection can be done. The result is an order to correct any violations of the housing code. However, the occupant is equally responsible to properly care for the landlord’s property. Housing inspections are limited to conditions that endanger or impair the health, safety or well being of the occupant. Aesthetic and cosmetic conditions are not applicable.

When is the household hazardous waste collection?

Because this is a very expensive event to hold, the collection is held bi-annually in April, funds permitting.  The next Mansfield Household Hazardous Waste collection day is currently scheduled for April 2020. Until then, there are numerous resources to assist you with understanding, handling and managing your household hazardous waste.

Hazardous Household Products: Handling and Management

Municipal Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facilities

What can I bring to the household hazardous waste collection?

Household hazardous waste no longer needed, 5 gallons or 50 pounds per household. Generally, this is used motor oil, oil paint and stain, solvents, pesticides, cleansers, solvent adhesives, automobile and truck tires, household and automotive batteries and LP gas grill cylinders. A full list is available from the Health Department.