Curbside Collection Guidelines
Mansfield contracts with Waste Management to provide residents with weekly curbside trash pickup. Each household receives a single 64-gallon cart. A second cart is available for an additional charge of $200 per year. Please follow these guidelines to ensure your proper trash collection:
- Trash and Recycling must be at curbside by 7:00 a.m. on your designated collection day
- Please separate your recycle cart from your trash by 3 feet if possible so it can be easily identified by the collector
- All trash must be contained in the cart issued by the contractor to be collected. No material left outside the cart will be collected. Bag all trash to prevent litter
- Trash and recycle carts must be placed at the edge of the roadway with wheels facing away from the street. Do not place your cart within 3 feet of any obstruction (trees, mailboxes, etc.)
- No construction materials from renovation projects will be collected
- Recyclable materials are collected every week on your regular collection day. Do not place recyclable materials in your trash bin
- On windy days, trash and litter are sometimes blown away from your cart. If you see litter on your street, please collect and dispose of it properly
Safe Use and Care of Trash Cart
- Always keep the lid closed to keep rain, snow, and animals out
- Do not place any unacceptable materials in the carts such as recyclables, paint, solvents, hot ashes, sand, rocks, yard waste, etc.
- Use the handle provided to move the cart. Tilt cart on wheels and roll. Remember to pull the cart uphill and push the cart downhill
- Remove your cart as soon as possible after collection to maintain appearance of the neighborhood
- To clean, simply rinse with water from time to time and let dry in the sunlight with the lid open
Problem With Your Cart?
The cart is made of durable plastic that will provide years of maintenance free use. Should a problem occur (broken wheel, lid etc.) please contact Waste Management at 800-972-4545 to request a repair.
Holiday Collections & Inclement Weather
If New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4), Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, or Christmas Day falls on a weekday (Monday-Friday), your trash and recycling collection will pushed back one day. If any of these holidays falls on a weekend day, there will no change to the schedule.
If we experience severe inclement weather, please refer to the town’s website or the town’s Facebook and Twitter pages for more information. You can also call the DPW at 508-261-7335.
Bulky Items and White Goods Collection
Bulky items refers to items that cannot fit into your 64-gallon trash cart, such as furniture, box springs, mattresses, desks, chairs, etc. White goods include appliances such as stoves, refrigerators, dryers, dishwashers, etc. To dispose of these items, you must either donate them, transport them to the Mansfield Green Recycling Park or a commercial transfer station, or contact the town to schedule curbside pickup.
Get details about disposal of Bulky Items and White Goods.
If you have additional questions, contact the Mansfield Department of Public Works at (508) 261-7335 or Waste Management at 1-800-972-4545, or visit www.wm.com.
Food Waste & Composting
Did you know that food waste accounts for approximately 14% of the municipal solid waste in Massachusetts? Rather than throwing food scraps in the trash, consider composting. You can purchase a composter from the Mansfield DPW for $25. Visit the DPW office on the first floor of town hall at 6 Park Row to pay for your bin. You can then pick up your bin at the Mansfield Green Recycling Park.