The Animal Welfare Committee is a permanent committee formed by the Board of Selectmen composed of five members and two alternate members appointed for terms of three years each, so arranged that the terms of as nearly equal a number of members as possible expire each year.
The Animal Welfare Committee shall meet at the call of the Chairman and do the following:
- Recommend to the Board of Selectmen rules and regulations concerning the operation of the animal shelter, standards for the collection, care, custody and disposal of dogs at large and public nuisance dogs.
- Review the proposed budget of the Humane Officer and operating budget for the animal shelter and make recommendations to the Chief of Police/Animal Control Officer.
- Upon written request, by the Board of Selectmen, review and recommend to the Board of Selectmen, permit applications, renewal permit applications and applications to transfer ownership of existing permits, and recommend revocation of permits or licenses.
- Recommend to the Town necessary changes in the law regarding the control of animals.
- The Animal Welfare Committee/Animal Control Officer may at anytime request the Humane Officer to inspect any commercial animal establishment or private animal holding facility.
- The Animal Welfare Committee shall interview all applicants for the Humane Officer's position, at the request of the Animal Control Officer, and recommend at least three candidates to the Animal Control Officer for the hiring of the Humane Officer.